Friday, July 22, 2016

Blessed to be a Caregiver

I am blessed to be a caregiver. OK, it doesn't always feel like a blessing, but feelings are fickle things. One of my passions is being able to help others and the Lord keeps giving me people who need care and who enrich my life.

I believe my caregiving days started way back when I was a child. I grew up in a big farm house with my parents, siblings, and grandmother. I loved spending time with Grandma and would brush her false teeth for her when she took them out at night.  This totally grossed out one of my sisters, but it didn’t bother me in the least. 

I especially enjoy helping the elderly. Yes, it can be tiring when you have to repeat yourself or talk loudly and they may be very set in their ways, but when they tell stories from their childhood, give you a smile or a hug, or blurt out whatever is on their mind, it’s all worth it.

I’ll never forget the day, when I had my own business, that one of my elderly clients met my high-school aged son for the first time. During cross-country season my son had a Mohawk and wore these trendy running shoes that wrapped around each toe individually. My client slowly looked him up and down and solemnly said “You’re right funny looking.” There was a brief pause and then we all burst out laughing!

What I’ve discovered about caregiving is that it’s not all about what we can do physically for the individual, but the relationship we can have with them. Building a sense of camaraderie and friendship helps the slower days of old age or illness pass more pleasantly. We may be the only person they talk with all day or all week. We can give them something different to think (or laugh) about as we share our lives with them. The added benefit is that our own lives are enhanced. 


1 Thessalonians 5:11 (ESV)
Therefore encourage one another and 
build one another up, just as you are doing.

As a caregiver, we are in a unique position to encourage and build people up. We can make them feel important and genuinely loved as we ask about their history and truly listen to them. Even if our client or loved one cannot respond verbally, we can still make a world of difference by treating them with love, respect, and gentleness. 

Caregiving can be an extremely difficult and thankless job, but if God has called you to be a caregiver, He will provide the strength and perseverance needed. If you are like me, your desire is to use the gifts that God has given you in whatever place you find yourself. It could be as a paid caregiver, an adult child taking care of aging parents, or a mom taking care of her small children. Whatever the case, I hope we continually realize the huge impact we have and the differences for good that we can make in the lives of those under our care. We never know when we may be in need of similar care and hope that we’ll be treated the same way. Regardless, we can know that the Lord sees and knows.

Tip: Go! Brighten someone's day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jennifer for your constant encouragement about care giving! It's definitely a calling God has to prepare you for again and again each new day!

    ReplyDelete